The demand for short-term rental property in Dubai has seen a significant rise over the last year, especially with platforms like Airbnb simplifying the process for homeowners. But before listing your property on Airbnb in Dubai, understanding the rules, steps, and regulations is crucial. This article explains step-by-step how to list your Dubai property on Airbnb and gives several valuable tips to maximize your income.
List your property in Dubai on Airbnb in 9 steps
Property owners can easily list their property on Airbnb in Dubai by following these steps:
- Determine eligibility: Before listing a property on Airbnb in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), homeowners must first apply for a license from the Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM). In Abu Dhabi, homeowners can apply for a license through the Department of Culture and Tourism.
- Apply for a license: Visit the DTCM website or office to apply for the required license. The homeowner or a property management company can do this. The licensing fee via a holiday-home company costs AED 370 ($99.90) to AED 1,200 ($324) a year for units ranging from a studio to a four-bedroom apartment.
- Prepare your property: Ensure your property is fully furnished with all utilities connected, such as to DEWA (Dubai Electricity and Water Authority) and internet.
- Photography: Take high-quality photos of your property. This will enhance the appeal of your listing on Airbnb.
- Create an Airbnb account: If you don’t have one, sign up on Airbnb’s platform.
- List your property: Once logged in, click on “List Your Space” and fill in all the necessary details about your property, including amenities, house rules, and pricing.
- Set availability: Update your calendar with the dates your property is available for rent.
- Post the ad: Once all details are filled in and photos uploaded, publish your listing on Airbnb.
- Pay the Tourism Dirham Fee: Homeowners must pay a Tourism Dirham Fee when guests stay, which is AED 7 ($1.89) to AED 20 ($5.40) per night for each room. This is paid directly to the DTCM on a monthly basis.
List your Dubai property on Airbnb
Rules and requirements to list your house on Airbnb in Dubai
It’s important to comply with the United Arab Emirates rules and regulations on renting out property in Dubai. Ensure you meet all the requirements before you list your house on Airbnb in Dubai:
- No shared accommodation: UAE law does not allow shared accommodation, so it’s not possible to get a unit permit for renting out a single room on Airbnb and similar platforms.
- Licensing: A license from DTCM is mandatory before listing on Airbnb in Dubai.
- Furniture and amenities: DTCM specifies a list of more than 50 items that must be in the apartment, such as safes, kettles, a certain height for the mattress, and a specific number of towels per guest.
- Cleaning and sanitization: There is a mandatory cleaning and sanitization after every checkout. Furniture should also be cleaned every few weeks.
- Tax: Homeowners are required to pay a Tourism Dirham Fee for each guest stay.
Start Airbnb rentals in Dubai? Tips to generate more income
Those who want to generate income from their Airbnb listing might benefit from the following tips:
- Professional photography: High-quality photos can attract more guests.
- Regularly update your listing: Ensure your listing is up-to-date with availability, pricing, and any new amenities or features.
- Superhost status: Aim to achieve Superhost status on Airbnb in Dubai by maintaining high ratings and meeting the platform’s performance standards.
- Competitive pricing: Regularly check the prices of similar listings in your area and adjust your rates accordingly.
- Offer special deals: Consider offering discounts for longer stays or off-peak seasons.
Property management in Dubai with Own Property Abroad
It’s smart to work with a property management company in Dubai. A property manager saves you time as they can manage various tasks involved in rental property management, such as utilities, cleaning, security, and booking management.
Do you want to rent out your property in Dubai? Own Property Abroad can assist you. For further information, kindly drop your details below or email us at email@example.com. Let’s start working on your success story today!
Get help with property management in Dubai
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I list my apartment on Airbnb in Dubai?
Yes, you can list your apartment on Airbnb in Dubai, but you must follow the regulations of the Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM).
Do I need a license to list my property on Airbnb in Dubai?
Yes, before listing a property on Airbnb or another online platform for short holiday lets, homeowners must first apply for a license from the DTCM.
Is Airbnb in Dubai profitable?
Yes, Airbnb can be profitable in Dubai. For instance, short-term rentals can cover all the running costs for an apartment, such as Dewa and service charges, and provide a positive return on investment.