Close this search box.
Own property in Indonesia

What is Pondok Wisata and how to get it?

pondok wisata license

Table of Contents

Indonesia has seen a rise in tourists over the last few years, which has attracted many foreign investors. However, one must obtain the Pondok Wisata license to legally rent out properties in Indonesia. This license is mandatory for everybody renting out property in Indonesia, whether Indonesian nationals, foreign nationals (WNA), or foreign-owned companies, such as PT PMAs. This article delves into what Pondok Wisata is, its requirements, and its acquisition process.

What is Pondok Wisata?

Pondok Wisata, also known as the Homestay Operational License, is similar to a building approval for the commercial use of a property in Bali or elsewhere in Indonesia. It allows property owners to operate residential properties as vacation rentals. This license typically covers properties with up to three units (for older licenses) or up to five bedrooms (for newer licenses). Anything larger would necessitate a full hotel license.

Can foreigners or PT PMAs obtain Pondok Wisata?

While the Pondok Wisata license is primarily issued to Indonesian citizens, foreigners have a couple of options to apply for Wondok Wisata. They can either set up a business (PT PMA) to request a guesthouse license or collaborate with an Indonesian individual (a nominee) who will apply for the permit on their behalf. However, the last option is not recommended.

Pondok Wisata requirements

Property owners can rent their property as an accommodation for tourists or long-term guests. However, not everybody can apply for Pondok Wista, as specific requirements exist. These are the essential requirements for a Pondok Wisata license:

  1. The license is available only to Indonesian citizens or properties managed by a PT PMA specializing in villa management.
  2. The license is valid for five years, after which it needs renewal.
  3. Depending on local tax authority obligations, property owners must file monthly or yearly taxes.
  4. A Melati Hotel license is required for properties with more than five rooms available for rent.
  5. If you rent to foreigners, you must ensure they are reported to the police to obtain the Surat Tanda Melapor (STM) or Certificate of Police Registration. This involves sending a copy of the passport to the police within 24 hours after arrival.

To obtain the license, the following documents are essential:

  • UKL – UPL (Environmental Management and Monitoring System Document)
  • PBG documents (Building Approval)
  • SITU/HO documents
  • Company Registration Certificate (SIM)
  • NPWPD number (tax number)

How to get a Pondok Wisata license in Indonesia?

Property owners can get Pondok Wisata in Indonesia by following these six steps:

  1. Ensure eligibility: The property should be owned by an Indonesian citizen or a foreigner with a PT PMA company.
  2. Prepare the Property: Ensure the property meets the local government’s standards for a homestay or small lodging.
  3. Gather required documents: This may include property deeds, business plans, and compliance certificates, among others.
  4. Submit the application: The application for a Pondok Wisata license is usually submitted to the local tourism office or a similar regulatory body in the area where the property is located.
  5. Wait for approval: After submission, there will be a waiting period during which your application is reviewed and your property may be inspected.
  6. Receive Pondok Wisata license: If your application is successful and all criteria are met, you will receive your Pondok Wisata license.

It can take several weeks to obtain your Pondok Wisata license in Indonesia. Working with a real estate expert in Indonesia who can assist you in applying for Pondok Wisata is beneficial. Please email us at [email protected] to get assistance in obtaining Pondok Wisata.

Apply for Pondok Wisata in Bali

Applying for Pondok Wisata in Bali works like anywhere else in Indonesia. First, ensure eligibility and prepare the property to meet the local government’s standards. Ensure to gather all the required documents to apply at the local tourism office or a similar regulatory body in Bali. Once applied, await approval to receive your Pondok Wisata in Bali finally.

Start villa rentals in Indonesia with Own Property Abroad

Do you want to apply for Pondok Wisata? Those who want to rent out their villa in Bali must apply for a license. With our expert team, you won’t have to navigate the complexities alone. For further information on how we can assist you, kindly drop your details below or email us at [email protected]. Let’s start working on your success story today!

Get help with applying for Pondok Wisata

Leave your name and email below – We will reach out to answer all your questions and assist you with obtaining Pondok Wisata.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Is Pondok Wisata required to rent out villas in Bali?

Yes, Pondok Wisata is a mandatory license for renting out villas in Bali. Foreigners renting property through a PT PMA must also apply for the license.

What is Pondok Wisata in English?

Pondok Wisata in English translates to Homestay Operational License.

What is the difference between IMB and Pondok Wisata?

IMB (Ijin Mendirikan Bangunan) was an essential building permit, specifying the building’s purpose, while the Pondok Wisata is a license to operate residential properties as vacation rentals. IMB no longer exists and is replaced with PBG (Persetujuan Bangunan Gedung), the new building approval.

Do I need the Pondok Wisata license in Bali?

If you plan to rent out your property or villa in Bali, you need the Pondok Wisata license. This license is mandatory for all property owners renting their villas or apartments.

How much does Pondok Wisata cost?

The cost of Pondok Wisata varies, starting from IDR 1 million ($63) to over IDR 20 million ($1,260), depending on the type of license. The license’s duration is five years, after which it needs renewal.

Your guide to buying property in Indonesia

Written by Matt Timmermans

2 Responses

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your guide to buying property in Indonesia

Directly contact our legal expert in Indonesia

Looking for immediate and reliable assistance? Our agent in Indonesia is here to help you out.

Don't hesitate to contact us for solutions to your queries.

🇮🇩 Contact our legal agent to get assistance

Get help with applying for Pondok Wisata

Leave your name and email below – We will reach out to answer all your questions and assist you with obtaining Pondok Wisata.