Each year, numerous individuals relocate to Portugal to live as expatriates. However, many also invest primarily in real estate to generate additional income. If you are one of those people, you should be aware of different rules about real estate investment, particularly when you want to do business on renting in Portugal. This article will discuss what Alojamento Local is and how to obtain it.
What is Alojamento Local?
Alojamento Local (AL) is an accommodation license for rental properties in Portugal. Property owners who want to obtain Alojamento Local must comply with specific requirements, such as obtaining licenses, maintaining appropriate insurance coverage, and meeting particular safety standards.
Why and who needs Alojamento Local?
How to obtain Alojamento Local license?
All property owners can obtain Alojamento Local when they meet specific requirements (Estabelecimentos de Alojamento Local). One notable aspect of Alojamento Local is that it is subject to specific regulations imposed by the Portuguese government. Note that AL is only for properties intended for less than 50 people. These regulations aim to ensure the safety, quality, and fair competition within the accommodation sector.
- Register as self-employed with the Portuguese Tax Department (Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira)
- Register as self-employed with Social Security (Segurança Social)
- Premises must have stable connections to water, electricity, gas supply, and drainage systems.
- Adherence to general fire safety regulations, including an appropriate number of fire extinguishers and fire blankets based on the number of guests.
- Sufficient first aid equipment, clear instructions for operating household appliances, and prominently display the emergency number “112.”
- One bathroom for every three bedrooms
- Every room must have a window or balcony to ensure proper ventilation.
- Obtain an official complaints book. Owners must display this book within visible view of guests.
- Maintenance to ensure premises are in good condition and hygienic.
- When advertising the property, you must always include the registration number.
Remember, these requirements are not ministerial but mandatory. Failure to do so will disqualify you from obtaining this license.
Who issues the license?
The local council (Camara Municipal) grants the AL license. You can conveniently apply online in this portal but visit the local council to file in person.
Submit the following documents to the local council:
- Identity card.
- Personal statement about the suitability of the building and its adherence to regulations.
- Copy of land register entry as proof that you are the owner.
Need help with obtaining an Alojamento Local license?
Foreigners may get overwhelmed with the requirements for obtaining an Alojamante Local license, especially if there are language barriers. However, it is essential to note that numerous professional services, such as real estate agents, are available to assist in this process. These services can help streamline the procedure by aiding in preparing the required documents. With their support, the submission and approval of the license will be smooth and efficient.
The establishment of Alojamento Local has contributed significantly to the growth of Portugal’s tourism industry, attracting visitors from around the world while providing an avenue for expatriates to invest in the real estate market and generate additional income. Are you enticed to be one of them? Ensure that reliable and reputable professionals assist you in obtaining this license.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What does Alojamento Local mean?
Alojamento Local refers to short-term rental accommodation in Portugal. It is a term used to describe properties, such as apartments or houses, rented out to tourists and visitors temporarily. Alojamento Local provides an alternative to hotels, allowing travelers to stay in residential settings and experience the local culture and lifestyle during their visit to Portugal.
How do I get an alojamento local Licence?
You must follow a few steps to obtain an Alojamento Local license in Portugal. First, ensure that your property meets the necessary requirements set by local regulations. Then, apply to the local municipality or council, providing the required documentation and information about your property. Once your application is approved, you will receive the Alojamento Local license, allowing you to operate your short-term rental accommodation legally.
How do I get AL in Portugal?
Getting an “AL” (Alojamento Local) in Portugal involves a straightforward process. Start by verifying if your property complies with the specific criteria outlined by local regulations. Prepare the necessary documentation and complete an application, which should be submitted to the respective municipality or council. Upon approval, you will be granted the AL license, enabling you to offer your property as a short-term rental in Portugal legally.