Finding office space in Jakarta can be challenging, as many businesses and corporations want to open an office in the capital city of Indonesia. Still, you will find many office spaces for rent in Jakarta, from serviced, virtual and private offices to coworking spaces. This article reviews all the important information you need to find and rent office space in Jakarta.
Finding the perfect rental office space in Jakarta
Finding the right office space in Jakarta can feel overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. Whether you’re establishing a business in Jakarta and are seeking small office space for rent in Jakarta or something bigger, understanding your needs is crucial. Let’s walk through a step-by-step plan to find your business’s ideal Jakarta office space.
- Identify your needs: Start by determining what your business requires. Consider your business’s nature, how many employees you have, and how much space you require. Consider whether you need meeting rooms, a lobby, or a canteen.
- Define the perfect location: In Jakarta, the central business district is a thriving hub with landmarks like the Jakarta Mori Tower, Millennium Office Tower, Trinity Tower, and Icon Tower. Opting for office space for rent in Jakarta’s central business district may be beneficial if you often receive clients or business partners. If you prefer a more laid-back environment, South Jakarta office space, particularly coworking office space in South Jakarta, might be more appropriate.
- Set a budget: Establishing an office space rent in Jakarta that you can comfortably manage is vital. Consider additional costs, such as utilities, repairs, parking, and potential rent increases, when deciding your budget.
- Select an office type: Jakarta office spaces range from traditional to serviced offices and coworking spaces. A services office space in Jakarta or a coworking space can be a good money-saving choice for new and small businesses.
- Use real estate agents: Hiring a real estate agent in your area who knows the market can save you time and help you get the best deal.
- Visit several offices: Before deciding, you should always visit the office buildings. Check the building’s overall condition, the amenities it has, the parking spots, how close to public transportation, and how safe the area is.
- Read the lease terms: Before you sign anything, ensure you understand all the terms and conditions of the lease. A lawyer or real estate agent should look over the lease agreement.
- Don’t take the first offer you get: Try to negotiate the rent and terms of the lease based on the current market.
- Think about how your business will grow in the future: A space for your office that works for you now may not be enough in a few years. Think about getting a lease with flexible terms that will allow you to grow in the future.
Remember that every business is different, so take the time to figure out what will work best for you. The right office space can help your business run better, make your employees more productive, and make your clients happier.
Renting or buying office space in Jakarta?
Whether to rent or buy office space in Jakarta is a strategic decision that depends on factors like business needs, future plans, and financial situation. The capital outlay is one of the most important things to think about. Buying usually requires a large initial investment while renting requires less money. Flexibility is also essential, and renting gives you more room to change, which is excellent for growing businesses. Trends in the market can also have a big impact. When the market is doing well, companies are more likely to buy, but when the market isn’t doing well, businesses may be more likely to rent.
There are also maintenance and management responsibilities, cash flow, the possibility that the asset will increase in value, and tax implications. You are responsible for all the maintenance when you own an office, but you usually don’t have to do as much when you rent. If you rent, your monthly costs may stay the same, but your costs may change if you buy.
Tax rules about owning and renting out property could also change your mind. It’s a good idea to talk to real estate or financial consultants about your situation and how it compares to the market conditions in Jakarta right now. Remember that long-term real estate commitments should fit your business’s strategic goals.
What are the best locations for office space in Jakarta?
As Indonesia’s capital, Jakarta has several important business districts and neighborhoods that are perfect for offices. These areas are known for easy access to public transportation, shops, and a busy business community. Here are some great places to go:
- Central Business District (CBD) – Thamrin and Sudirman: This is Jakarta’s business center, where many national and international companies have headquarters. It has a variety of office spaces, from Grade A buildings to coworking spaces.
- Kuningan: This is another popular area. It is south of the CBD. It has a lot of foreign embassies and high-rise office buildings, like the famous Mega Kuningan, which is a business, residential, and commercial area all in one.
- SCBD (Sudirman Central Business District): This area is known as Jakarta’s most prestigious business area. It has a lot of high-end shopping centers, luxury apartments, five-star hotels, and Grade A office towers.
- Slipi and Palmerah: Both areas are less expensive than the other places listed above. They are easy to get to from other places in Jakarta and have different office spaces.
- TB Simatupang: This area in South Jakarta has grown significantly in recent years. Many national and international companies like it because it has modern office buildings.
- West Jakarta (Jakarta Barat): This is a business hub with a lot of commercial activity. It is known for its trade and manufacturing industries.
- Kemang: You find a lot of coworking spaces in Kemang, and the area is known for its creative and startup community.
Get help with finding office space in Jakarta
It’s smart to work with a real estate agent in Jakarta when looking for rental office space. Real estate agent saves you time as they can manage various tasks involved in buying or renting property, such as meeting legal requirements, helping find suitable properties, negotiating the best deals, conducting due diligence, and ensuring a smooth transaction.
Get help with your office building in Jakarta
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much does it cost to rent an office in Jakarta?
The cost of renting an office space in Jakarta can vary significantly based on factors such as location, size, facilities, and type of office. For example, office space for rent in Jakarta’s central business district may be higher-priced than in South Jakarta or West Jakarta. As of now, you can expect to pay anywhere from IDR 200,000 ($13) to IDR 400,000 ($26) per square meter per month.
How do I find good office space in Jakarta?
Finding a good office space in Jakarta involves understanding your business needs, setting a location preference, determining a budget, and deciding on the type of office space you need. Consider using the services of a real estate agent who can help find commercial office space in Jakarta that fits your budget and requirements. Visiting the location, understanding the lease terms, and negotiating the deal are critical steps to securing your ideal office space.
What is included in Jakarta office space?
Jakarta office spaces typically include amenities such as office furniture, air conditioning, and utilities. However, serviced office space in Jakarta or coworking office space may also have additional benefits like shared kitchen facilities, meeting rooms, high-speed internet, reception services, and access to a community of professionals. Premium office spaces like those in Jakarta Mori Tower or Millennium Office Tower might offer exclusive amenities like gyms, lounges, and dedicated parking.
What is the difference between services, private and virtual offices in Jakarta?
A serviced office in Jakarta offers a fully equipped physical office space, with amenities such as furniture, utilities, and administrative services included in the rent. Private office space in Jakarta refers to a traditional office setup where you lease an office solely for your business. Virtual office space in Jakarta provides a professional business address and communication services without a physical office space, which is ideal for remote companies or startups looking to establish a presence in Jakarta without the cost of physical space.
What is the difference between sewa office space and jual office space in Jakarta?
“Sewa” and “jual” are Indonesian terms referring to “rent” and “sell” respectively. Sewa office space in Jakarta means renting an office space for a specific period, usually under a lease agreement. This can benefit businesses that require flexibility or have a limited initial budget. On the other hand, jual office space in Jakarta refers to purchasing an office space outright, a more substantial long-term investment often suited to established businesses.